IP in menubar 4.3
This small application runs in the background and shows the current IP dddress of your Mac in the menu bar. There are options available to customize the appearance of the menu entry. The IP dddress is updated regulary. Switch on the Router option if you are behind a router or gateway. You can still see your local IP address in the menu.
You can quit this application using either its menu or the Activity Monitor (see /Applications/Utilities folder).
This application is freeware and provided as is.
IP in menubar is an example of what you can do in REALbasic using the MBS Plugins and their NSStatusItemMBS class.
Download IP in menubar
Mac OS X
This application is considered donation-ware (uncrippled shareware). If you find it indispensable, please consider making a donation.
If you'd rather not use PayPal, you can send something to me directly at:
Christian Schmitz, Plaidter Straße 31a, 56645 Nickenich, Germany
Drop the application wherever you want it to be. You only need the application file and if you like you can add it to the login items in your user settings in system preferences to have it launched on login time.
New stuff added in version 4.3:
- Fixed a bug with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
- Added option to show extra text. You need to write it yourself in preferences file.
- Added option to show all IPs of the Mac.
New stuff added in version 4.2:
- Added German Localization.
- Fixed bug in the menu where the display entries where not enabled correctly.
- Changed server for external IP query.
New stuff added in version 4.1:
- Fixed a problem with the IP query for using a router.
- Added an icon in color or gray with options to the menubar so you can switch
New stuff added in version 4.0:
- Universal Application.
- For developers: Using "Make Invisible" tool to make the application background only instead of Resource.
New stuff added in version 3.2:
- Allows IP shorting on router IPs.
- Now supports using smaller fonts.
New stuff added in version 3.1:
- Fixed the router IP display as whatismyip.org changed the html respond.
New stuff added in version 3.0:
- Now router save using whatismyip.org
- Updated to REALbasic 5.5.
- Event based updates. (=Updates whenever you plug or unplug the cable)
- Added Copy menu item.
New stuff added in version 2.1:
- Added menu to change display options.
New stuff added in version 2.0:
- Added router support using a config file.
- Added a menu entry to Quit.
- Added a menu entry to visit our website.
- Added a menu entry to update the IP.
Using Little Snitch can disable access to the webservice used to query the external IP. But Little Snitch can be configured to allow internet access for this tool so it will work.
The application running: